Asthma Management Checklist
To best manage your asthma:
- Find an outstanding asthma specialist.
- Education: learn everything about asthma.
- Participate in your asthma care in partnership with your physician.
- Follow up on all your doctor's recommendations.
- Use a peak flow meter as recommended.
- Take medications as prescribed even though you may feel well.
- Be prepared for an asthmatic emergency. Have a written plan and emergency backup medications.
- Keep all follow-up visits for assessment and adjustment of treatment.
- Never run out of medication(s).
- Avoid known triggers of your asthma. Plan ahead.
- Follow through with environmental allergen avoidance recommendations and/or allergy injection treatment when recommended.
- Maintain good communication with your specialist. Discuss your concerns and ask questions if issues are not clear to you.