Metered-dose inhaler instructions
Metered-dose inhalers (MDIs) are devices that conveniently and easily administer medications directly to the airways. If you are taking an MDI, the following instructions will help you develop a proper technique. This technique is the key to effective delivery of medication to the airways.
- Remove the plastic dust cap.
- Shake the container vigorously immediately before using.
- Hold the inhaler up to your mouth with the mouthpiece down.
- Breathe out fully, slowly emptying your lungs of as much air as you can without straining. You are now ready to inhale your asthma medication.
- Activate the inhaler while very slowly and simultaneously breathing in the medication. Hold the medication in your lungs for 5 - 10 seconds and then slowly exhale. Choose from one of the following three techniques; use the one that works best for you:
a. Closed Mouth Technique
b. Open Mouth Technique
c. Aerochamber Spacer
- Wait a few minutes, then repeat Steps 2 - 5 for a second inhalation.
- Rinse your mouth (gargle with water) if you are using corticosteroid inhalers.
- After each use, replace the plastic dust cap. This will prevent the loss of medication and will keep the valve clean.