The Asthma Center

When should I call a specialist?

If you have failed 2 courses of antibiotics for treatment of sinusitis or have had recurrent (more than 3) episodes of sinusitis each year, or if you have chronic or severe seasonal nasal congestion, post nasal drip, sneezing and itchy watery eyes, you should see a specialist. If you have sinusitis in addition to any of the following – chronic allergies, asthma, nasal polyps, impaired immune system – you should be evaluated by a specialist. If you have a history of aspirin reactions or have developed sinusitis while pregnant, you should also be evaluated by a specialist.

Depending on your condition, you may seek out the help of either an allergist or an otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon). An allergist treats the medical aspects of sinusitis and has expertise in the evaluation and management of allergic and irritant triggers and complications in the lower airways like asthma. An otolaryngologist deals more with surgically correctable conditions that are associated with sinusitis like septal deviations, polyps, brain and eye complications of sinusitis as well as medically refractory sinusitis. In chronic sinusitis, the collaborative efforts of an allergist and ENT surgeon are often required for optimal care.